Become a lifeguard through courses offered at the YMCA!
Safety mesures and procedures
- Lifesaving courses will resume on October 13.
- The programming will be published on our website on September 14. You will be able to register on September 21.
- Lifesaving courses will not be offered if participants are unable to keep a 2-metre distance from each other.
- The instructor will teach the lesson from outside the pool or will stay at least 2 metres away from participants at all times.
- All recommendations given by the Lifesaving Society will be always respected.
- Participants must bring 3-5 masks to each class (we will not provide any masks)
Swimming and water safety instruction has been one of the pillars of the YMCA, with over 80 years of experience in this area. Swimmers interested in becoming a lifeguard can participate in the Lifesaving Society’s certifications offered at the YMCA.
Benefits of lifesaving courses
- Psychological: stress management, improved focus and self-esteem;
- Fitness: weight management and increased cardiovascular capacity, strength and endurance;
- Motor skills: improved coordination, balance, posture and agility.
Training required to become a lifeguard
Lifesaving courses and dates vary by YMCA centre. For more information, please consult the schedule of your local YMCA. In addition, you can consult your YMCA’s aquatic activities brochure.